State fair of Texas is 9 days away from today! Did you know these facts about the state fair?
- The first celebration was on Apr 3-6, 1886 and was attended by 25000 people
- The first “official” state fair in Nov 1887 attracted over 100,000 people
- Attendance topped 1 Million in the year 1916
- Big Tex makes it first appearance in 1952. But it took him another year to find his “voice”
- Big Tex was a Santa in the downtown shopping district from 1949 through 1952, which was purchased by the State Fair for $750 and transformed into The Big Tex. Current Big Tex costs ~$500,000
BTW if you are planning a trip to the fair this week, here are some tips to get some discounted tickets.
Leave a Reply