Milk is an important part of our diet. We begin drinking it when we are young, but our intake decreases as we get older. Some people shy away from it because they fear that it will add too much fat to their diet. Others leave it out because they believe that they no longer need it.
You are never too old to reap the rewards of drinking milk. It is a great source of vitamins and nutrients, and it has several health benefits. Milk has also been mentioned in the Holy Quran. We are familiar with the incidence of Mi’raj and Isra’. During the incidence of Isra, Prophet Muhammad (sa), was presented 3 bowls. In one bowl, there was water, in the other bowl there was alcohol and the third was Milk. Prophet Muhammad (sa) accepted the Milk bowl and angel Gabriel mentioned that He (sa) have made the right choice.
As we know that the new born is usually fed on milk for more or less 2 years, it is consider as a complete diet. Few of the benefits of Milk are as follows:
- Glowing Skin: Milk has several nutrients which help skin look its best. It has lactic acid which can act as an ex foliate and enzymes to help smooth skin. It also has amino acids that help keep skin moisturized. Milk can help prevent damage from environmental toxins because it has antioxidants. However, if you have a sensitivity to milk or dairy products, milk can actually aggravate your skin.
- Healthy Bones and Teeth: Milk is a great source of calcium, which is essential for healthy bones. Not only do young children need it while their bones are growing, but adults need it to keep their bones strong and to prevent osteoporosis. Milk is also great for strong teeth, and it helps prevent tooth decay and cavities. In order for the calcium to be absorbed by the body, vitamin D must be present. If you have a vitamin D deficiency, buy milk that is fortified with extra vitamin D to ensure that your body absorbs the calcium.
- Muscles: Milk contains protein, which helps to rebuild muscles. Drink a glass of milk after you exercise to give your body what it needs to recover. It will help to keep soreness at bay while replenishing fluids that you lost during your workout.
- Weight Loss: Studies show that women who drink low-fat or skim milk lose more weight than those who exclude milk from their diet. It is a great appetizer and it makes a healthy snack. Add a glass to your dinner, or drink a glass while eating a piece of fruit.
- Less Stress: Milk is a great way to de-stress at the end of the day. A glass of warm milk will help to relax tense muscles and soothe frayed nerves. Milk has also been proven to reduce symptoms of PMS and boost energy. The next time you are feeling frazzled, try drinking a glass of milk while you soak in a bubble bath.
- Healthy Body: Milk has properties that lower high blood pressure and risk of strokes. It reduces the liver’s production of cholesterol, and it can act as an antacid. Vitamins A and B in milk can help build good eyesight. Milk has also been show to help lower risk of certain cancers. There are several varieties of milk on the market, such as whole, 2%, low-fat and fat free. If you are concerned about the growth hormones used in milk, choose to go the organic route. With all of the types of milk available, you should be able to find something that fits your diet and nutritional needs.
– Collected by Munawwar Malik for Ansarullah Health Education
Leave a Reply